Saturday, February 20, 2010

Chasing Significance

Psalm 39:4-5 - "Lord, make me to know my end, And what is the extent of my days; Let me know how transient I am.  Behold, You have made my days as handbreadths, And my lifetime as nothing in Your sight; Surely every man at his best is a mere breath. Selah."

While I don't doubt that this is true, it makes me ponder - what about the fine Scotch in my glass, or the beautiful 108 year-old house in which I live?  What about a great book or painting?

There are many noble, beautiful things men have invested their lives in creating. It seems, though, that if they create them to seek immortality, fame, reknown, or significance, they waste their effort, because "every man at his best is a mere breath."

If, however, men pour their lives into anything, out of love and gratitude to You, Lord, for the gift of life, and for the benefit and legitimate pleasure of others, then we gain immortality and significance, even if our name is never recorded in a history book, in Your kingdom.  "He who has found his life shall lose it, and he who has lost his life for my sake shall find it" (Mt 10:39).

No comments:

Post a Comment